Carr a' Locha

Carr a’ Locha (​kor uh luchuh) – The rough patch of the lough.

 ‘The winding of the lakes’ as recorded in 1841 by John O’Donovan in the Ordnance Survey of Ireland Name Books. Submerged rocks to the west of Fahamore village. At low tide, the water gets trapped to form pools. The plentiful supply of báirneachs (bawrnuch)/limpets and miongáns (mingawn)/periwinkles attracted many families to live in Fahamore in the years after the Great Famine. The picking of carraigín moss and agar from the rocks also sustained many families over the years.

Durtán (​d​u​rtawn​) – The drone; derives from ‘dordán’ (​d​u​rdawn​), meaning a droning sound from the waves breaking on the western side of Carr a’ Locha.

Log na Coraíochta (​l​u​g n​uh ​k​u​reeht​uh) – The hauling hole. A deep channel running north-south through Carr a’ Locha. Derives from coraíocht (​k​uh​reecht​​) meaning the practice of casting a fishing net in a semi-circular fashion. ‘They put nets out there for bass and mullet, you moor a net there’, according to Murt O’Leary in 1969.

Poll a’ Chait (​p​ou​l ​uh ​ch​it) – The cat’s pool.

Small Poll a’ Chait – The small pool of the cat.

An Scruig (u​n skrig) – The neck. A projecting reef of rocks.

Cloch Fhuar (​kl​u​ch ​oo-u​r) – ​The cold or weather-beaten rock.

Cathair na Faithche (​koh​ir ​n​uh ​faheh) – The fort of the green. ‘There’s an old fort there, one small tunnel on the cliff to the back (north) of the houses where the tide wore away’, (Murt O’Leary, 1969). Local children recalled playing in the souterrain, which measured 5ft in height, 8ft in width and 10ft in length. Constructed with corbelled stone, it was washed away by the sea in the late 1950’. On 9 November 1583, the Earl of Desmond’s army raided Cathair na Faithche and the farm of Maurice Moriarty (Muiris an Droch Bhéarla ((​m​irish u​n dr​uh vee-u​rl​uh). They made off with ‘fortie cowes, niene coppels (horses), with great store of other goods and householde stuffe, and stripped naked the said Maurice, his wife and child’. A shell midden, composed of a series of layers, extending to 110m and averaging one metre in depth was exposed nearby on the cliff face. It consists mainly of charcoal, shells and animal bones. The shellfish represented are, limpet, whelk and periwinkle. The bones of pig, cow and possibly wolf were identified. A hone stone was also recovered from the site. A charcoal sample from the site produced a radio-carbon date of 1185 ± 70 A.D.

Poll Ghobnait (​p​ou​l g*ubn​it) – Gobnait’s pool. ‘On the strand under the smithy’ in Fahamore, according to Murt O’Leary.

The American Rock – A large flat rock in Carr a’ Locha on which generations of children in Fahamore played, often pretending that they were in America.

An Bhuaile (u​n voo-eleh)/The Boola – The place in Fahamore where cows were brought for milking.

Na Póirsí (​n​uh pohrshee)/The Porshes – The ruins; the remains of the abandoned houses of the old villages of Fahamore and Cutteen which in 1841 had a combined population of 153, accommodated in 43 houses.

The Star – A rock.

Glasláthair (​g​lo​s-l​awh​ir) – The green place. Derives its name from mud banks of green Zostera grass.

The Forge Gap – A passage to the strand running beside the new forge built in 1904 by James O’Connor, known as ‘The Gabha’
(​g​ou)(blacksmith). Before the present road from Garrywilliam was opened in 1907, the old road ran along the cliff-top and entered the village of Fahamore at the Forge Gap.

The Green – The large open space in Fahamore from which the townland derives its name.

Carr a’ Locha Strand.

Ceann Carraige (kyou​n​ ​kor​igeh) – The head of
the rock.

Cnocán Cloch (​kn​ukawn kl​u​ch​) – A heap of stones.