An Fhaithche Mhór (u​n aheh ​v​oo-u​r​) – Fahamore; the large green. ‘The Great Green’ and ‘Platea Magna’ as recorded by John O’Donovan in the Ordnance Survey Name Books. In 1841 it had a population of 160 and 322 inhabited houses.

Garraí Roibeaird (​gor​ee ​r​ibawrd) – Robert’s garden.

Páirc a’ Clover (​p​awrk uh clover)
– The clover field.

An Chluain (u​n chloo-en) – The meadow.

The Big Stone – A glacially deposited erratic of granite which originated in Co. Galway.

The Crossroads.

Gort na Faithche Mín-trá (​g​urt n​uh ​faheh meen traw) – The field of the green of the smooth strand.

An Scoth (un sk​u​h​) – The tail of rock. A submerged reef extending between Port a’ Chathasaigh and Donnagán Island.

Port a’ Chathasaigh – Port Cása (purt kawsuh)/ Casey’s port. Named after a Clare man named William Casey who was washed ashore here during a storm. Local folklore claimed that he came to convert the people to Protestantism.

An Chaoil-eang Fada (u​n​ ​cheela​ng​ ​fad​a) – The long and narrow strip of land.

Carn na Lao (​kornnuh ​l​ay) – The hump of the calves. An old local saying: ‘Carn na Lao is deep in the clay and so will I another day.’

An Chúlóg (u​n chool​oh​g​)
– The small nook/recess.

Gortcéin (​g​urt ​kayn) – Kane’s field.

Gort Sheáin (​g​u​rtchawn) – according to An Seabhac. John’s Field.

Gort an Átha (​g​u​rt ​u​n awh​a) – ​The ford field.

The Jib – Triangular-shaped field similar to the jib-sail of a boat.

Donnagán (​d​u​n​o​gaw​n​) Island.

Scrogán (​skr​u​gawn​) – A neck (of land). ‘Scrogáinín’ (skr​u​gawneen), the Clare people used to call it’ when they sought shelter here during a storm, according to Murt O’Leary (1969).

Pointe Scrogáin (​peenteh ​skru​g​awn).

Gob a’ Scrogáin (​g​ub ​uh ​scr​u​g​awn) – The mouth of the neck.

Poll Ghobnait (​p​ou​l g​*ubn​it) – Gobnait’s pool. ‘On the strand a short distance in from Scraggane Point, eastern side’, according to An Seabhac.

An Ché (un k*ay) – The quay to the east side of Scraggane, where the fishing boats used to land before the pier was built in 1897.

The Scrogáns – Fields.

Foirleathan (​f​urlah​a​n​) – Wide (field).

Páirc na gCapall (​p​awrk ​n​uh ​gop​u​l​) – The horse field.

Gort na Sciath (​g​u​rt n​uh schkee-eh) – ‘Field of the baskets’, according to An Seabhac. This is a reference to the use of baskets when spreading seeds.

Gort Fliuch (​g​u​rt ​flu​ch​) – The wet field.

Bóthairín Deen (​boh-​h​ireen deen) – The passage to a field belonging to John Deen, Fahamore.

The Jib – Triangular-shaped field similar to the jib-sail of a boat.

Móinfhéar (​m​ohnayr​) – Meadow. Used as a football and camogie pitch in the 1940’s, when it was known as ‘Maurice’s Field’, owned by Maurice Flynn.

Úrlann (oorl​un​) – Yard/forecourt/lawn (of an old fort).

Caoil-eang Ghé (​keelang g*ay) – The narrow field of the geese.

An Seana-mhóinéar (u​n ​shan​u ​v​ohnayr​) – The old meadow.

Calaithe Beag
(​ko​l​uhee byu​g​) – The small landing place.

Páircín (​p​awrkeen) – The small field.

Bóthairín na mBó (​b​o​h-hireen ​n​uh ​m​oh) – The little road of the cows.

The Pump – The well in Fahamore, built in 1874 by the Dingle Board of Guardians following a severe outbreak of scarlatina throughout Castlgregory Parish.

The Barranos – Fields; possibly derived from Barra Nó (nua), (​bor​uh ​n​oh). The new top/head. These were sand dunes, sub-let during the 1850’s by the local farmers to their landless neighbours who then became cottiers. When the cottiers were seen to profit from their holdings their rent was either increased or their holdings curtailed. One local newspaper highlighted the exploitation of the landless men, calling it ‘dark doings in our Sahara’.

In June 1927, two men, named Burke and Moriarty, uncovered a number of graves while ploughing a reclaimed sandbank here. The graves were described as having stone-built sides and were covered with large slabs of rock. One grave contained a large skeleton.

The Point – A spit of sand extending westwards towards the sea.

The Point Gap – A busy gap in times past with lines of horses and their carts queuing to emerge from the strand with a load of seaweed.

Gort a’ Ghainimh (​g​u​rt ​uh ​g*aniv) – The sand field.

The Well – Built by Tom Spillane in 1909.

An Bán (u​n b​aw​n​) – The fallow field; children from Kilshannig and Ceann Duimhche recalled going ‘up the Bán’ on their way to school in Fahamore.

The Cut – A sandy, water-logged track linking the villages of Fahamore and Barra na Duimhche.

Na Seana-ghoirt (nuh shanu g*irt)/The Seana Gorts – The old fields.

Seana-cheárta (shan​uh k*awrt​uh) – The old forge; local folklore claimed that the sound of a hammer striking an anvil could be heard by people passing along The Cut at night. ‘One day during mass, two men were rambling there and saw a woman combing her hair’, reported John Kenny, Barra na Duimhche to the Schools Collection.

The Kelp House – Built in the 1890’s by Castlegregory businessman James O’Donnell, for the burning and storage of kelp.

The Half-Acres – Between 1914 to 1917, following the purchase of the Hickson and Ventry Estates, previously unallocated land (much of which was sand dunes) in Maharees was divided between the tenants. Here nine tenants were given fields measuring half an acre each.

The Half-Acre Cut – A gap through which seaweed was drawn to the Half Acres.

Méin’s Bank – The sand dune where Mary (Méin) Donnelly spread her Carraigín (c​​ar​​igeen) Moss to bleach and dry.