Magherabeg (C)

The Burnt Stones

The Shelly Bank – In 1901, three large grass-grown mounds of sand marking the sites of shell middens, composed chiefly of oyster and cockle shells and burnt stones, were discovered on the western side of Stuaic Bhán. Items recovered from the sites include a whetstone, a sliotar, fragments of the skull, teeth and ribs of a young child, a bead, and the front incisor from the lower jaw of a pig. The Big Bank.

Slí a’ Chaisleáin (shlee uh ​ch​ishlawn) – T​he old road to Castlegregory through the sand dunes.

Stuaic Bhán (​st​oo-ek v​​aw​n​) – White bank.

Béal ​a’ ​Chomhair (​bee-ul ​uh ​ch​ohr) – Opening through the commonage.

The Island – Previously an island on the shore of Lough Gill, now reclaimed agricultural land.

An Bruach (u​n br​oo-u​ch​) – The river bank.

The Raithneach (​r​ahinuch​) Bank – The fern/bracken bank.

Duimhch Bheag (dee vyug) – An Dumhach Bheag. The small dune. In Loughbeg.

Páirc na gCapall (​p​awrk ​n​uh ​gop​u​l) –​ The horse field.

Lána Liath (​l​awn​uh lee-eh) – The grey track; reference to an old track running from the Trench Bridge through Lána Liath to Béal a’ Chomhair.

The Kiln – Hugh Courtney operated a kiln near his home in Magherabeg during the early 1900’s, sourcing his limestone at The Bior.

The Trench – The river flowing from Lough Gile to Tralee Bay.

The Trench Bridge – Previously an arched stone bridge that collapsed in July 1930, following the dredging of the river by the Board of Works.

Sean-abhainn (​sha​n ​oun) – The old river; a tributary of The Trench.

Oileán Mór (ilawn moo-ur) – The big island. The name derives from the fact that the area was bordered by the sea to the east, The Trench River to the north and at times floodwater from Lough Gill to the west. When applying for tenders to build the road to Maharees the notice stated that the route would run from Illaunmore to Fahamore. James O’Donnell, Castlegregory won the contract.

Norway – An Seabhac: ‘this name is used by the old people when referring to the rocks on the strand that are outside the end of the Strand Road, slightly to the north’.